FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 11, 2021
Contact: Prudence Robertson, firstname.lastname@example.org, (240) 672-2828
Election Transparency Initiative Warns Americans Against the “Corrupt Politicians Act”; Ken Cuccinelli to Offer Live Analysis
Washington, D.C. – The Senate Rules Committee this morning will markup S.1, also known as the “Corrupt Politicians Act.” Election Transparency Initiative Chairman, former Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, will track the proceedings and offer analysis throughout the day at @ETI_now and @KenCuccinelli.
“At a time when public trust and confidence in our elections has hit an all-time low, Americans of all parties and backgrounds desperately want security, transparency, and accountability,” said Cuccinelli. “Voters overwhelmingly agree with common sense policies like voter ID that make it easy to vote and hard to cheat. But instead of pursuing common ground initiatives, congressional Democrats are advocating divisive and unpopular proposals.”
As currently written, S. 1 would:
- Allow politicians to line their pockets with campaign funds and pay for personal expenses such as dry cleaning and airline flights;
- Force taxpayers to fund campaigns by sending politicians 6x the dollar amount of every campaign contribution less than $200;
- Override state laws that prevent felons, including violent criminals and those convicted of previous voter fraud, to vote;
Democrat Secretary of State, Bill Gardner, previously told the Senate Judiciary Committee:
“The massive federal legislation contemplated by Congress will overcomplicate our election system at tremendous financial cost. It would negate traditions and procedures that have served New Hampshire voters well for over 200 years.”
The Election Transparency Initiative, a partnership between American Principles Project (APP) and the national pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List (SBA List), was organized to combat H.R. 1/S. 1 and advocate for state-based election reform that voters can trust.
Last week, the group launched an expansion of their grassroots campaign to urge U.S. Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV), Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) and Jon Tester (D-MT) to vote against S.1 and continue standing firmly opposed to any attempt to eliminate or weaken the legislative filibuster. The new ad campaign targets swing voters without strong Republican or Democratic primary histories.
Polling released earlier this year by the Honest Elections Project shows:
- 64% of voters, including Black (51%) and Hispanic (66%) voters, as well as urban (59%) and Independent (61%) voters, want to strengthen voting safeguards that prevent fraud – not eliminate them.
- 77% of voters, including strong majorities of Republicans (92%), Independents (75%), and Democrats (63%) all support requiring voter ID.
- 64% of Black voters, 77% of Hispanics, and 76% of low-income voters reject the notion that presenting a form of ID at the ballot-box is a “burden.”
- Two-thirds of voters (66%) support increased protections on absentee voting, like requiring voter ID to vote absentee, which S.1. expressly blocks.
Election Transparency Initiative Chairman and former VA Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli will be available for media interviews upon request – to schedule please contact Prudence Robertson at email@example.com.
SBA List is a network of 900,000 pro-life Americans nationwide, dedicated to ending abortion by electing national leaders and advocating for laws that save lives, with a special calling to promote pro-life women leaders.